Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Mantastic!


That is not a word you say? It is. Mantastic. Look it up in the Joy Dictionary of Words and it will be there with a picture of Dave as definition. Many of you know me and you know that I pretty much can't function without my husband. I go through every day waiting for 5 o'clock to come around so I can have my partner back. Dave can do anything I can do. Aside from pregnancy, labor and breast feeding, he and I are pretty much interchangeable. Sometimes, I think he missed his calling because he would be an awesome mom. Right now he is the team mom on Kevin's basketball team. He rocks it. Anywhere he goes, he knows he has to take at least two kids, usually the littlest. Even to his own haircuts, little league pictures, grocery store, the dump, where ever, he's got the babies. In the morning, he makes lunches and gets the older kids off to school so I can get myself and the younger ones off to the gym. He can even manage a pretty decent pony tail if I can't get to Janee's hair. The list goes on but most of you know all this already. He takes such GREAT care of me!

Last week, Dave was called away to Las Vegas for a big home show for his fabulous iron doors, from MONDAY TO FRIDAY. A whole week on my own, what was I going to do? I can't manage my whole household ALONE. Let me make a disclaimer. I know there are several of you out there who do this type of thing on a regular basis. I bow down to you, you are my idols. That is not me. I just might have a break down. Any way, I settled in and prepared for the worst. Imagine my surprise!

Monday night, I did family night. I got everyone showered and put to bed on time. I also had to do the "pre-cleaners clean" all by myself. (This is harder to do than you might think.)

On Tuesday, I actually got up in time to fix lunches, and get everyone ready and myself off to the gym. (I also got to have the cleaners come but that is totally fair since the scary house looks the same clean or dirty.) I also got two girls to dance, I got Tate to basketball practice, I made dinner and I actually made it to Enrichment night. (I did have help with that one since Greg picked Tate up from practice for me.) Showers, bed, like clockwork. (Except I did have 2 children in bed with me because I couldn't manage to tell either one of them "no")

Wednesday, more lunches, off to the gym. I made dinner AGAIN, girls picked up from dance, Tate to mutual, girls home from dance, Tate home from mutual. Homework done, showers, bed on time. (Again, 2 children in bed with me but I think Janee suffered the most. She said Jarem and I both snore. So go sleep in your own bed, I do not snore.)

Thursday, more lunches, off to the gym. This day I actually made dinner ahead, had Tate put it in the oven because I had to go to SCOUTS from 4:00 - 5:00. Rush Kevin to basketball practice right after scouts and home to do dinner. Pick up Kevin from basketball. Thursday night, I am having such a great time by myself, I tell Greg and Rebecca to go to Las Vegas over night to check out the home show Dave is at. No problem, I'll take ALL 10 KIDS.

Friday morning, I GOT 7 KIDS READY FOR SCHOOL AND MYSELF OFF TO THE GYM BY 8:00 IN THE MORNING! Friday= PIZZA DAY woo hoo, no lunches! Boys to school, babies to naps. Things ran totally smoothly until I had a retarded Dr. who decided to make me wait an hour for an appt for Trigg which made me get Saydie to gym late and I BARELY got Kylee to her voice lesson on time. Picked up Saydie from Gym. Otherwise things were great.

Laundry got done and put away on time.

House stayed clean (all 400 square feet that I call my own, but it does include a kitchen and a kitchen's a kitchen, right?)

I went tanning...twice. (This is very important)

My bed got made.

I did my hair and make up every day (well, one day was a pony tail but that's done, right? It was raining!)

Got Tate and Kinsey off for Baptisms for the dead at 4:00 am and then back to school because mysteriously, they were just barely too late to catch the bus.

I even managed to get the baby potty trained, kind of. Who knew he'd rather be naked than wear underwear? (Pull ups at naps and diapers at night)

I went to bed every night feeling totally accomplished and fulfilled. I wasn't frustrated, didn't feel the need to complain, there was no yelling, no crying, in fact, I enjoyed every minute of it. I had several positive and uplifting conversations with Dave. Don't get me wrong, I would NEVER want to live without Dave but I felt pretty good about the fact that I could. Now it may have had something to do with the fact that my baby is almost three and I do have a 12 year old who helps a ton but still, I felt pretty good. Five kids is five kids.

Dave got home late Friday night and I was thrilled to see him of course. I told him all went well and everything was fine. We went to bed that night (so happy to have just Dave in bed with me) and I have to admit I was feeling kind of smug about my awesomeness. Then I looked over at him. I saw him on his knees and I knew. That was why I had such a great week. I knew that every night and every morning he was gone, he was on his knees and that is why things were so good for me at home. He was STILL taking care of me. He is "mantastic" and he is all mine. Although, he is pretty lucky too. Not every guy gets to be married to someone who can do a PERFECT DOUBLE STAG after five kids while holding his hand. Just look at that form, it is pretty rare. The real question is, WHY would I do a double stag? The answer is, because I can! It was fun too. I probably couldn't do it again though.

7 comments:

Smithfamily said...

I really do understand your pain because my husband had been out of town all this week....But I am sorry to say that we do this regularly...It helps that I have a driving age kid...

Unknown said...

Way to go Dave....the unsung hero! Isn't that what most dads are? The quiet anchor. I wish I were more like that for Sarah....

But good work on making it through the week. Be proud...you can do it! You make a good team.

We can't wait to see the whole family again in a day!

Unknown said...

HOLY JOY!! You did it! You are a rockstar! I don't know if I would have been able to do it, that's for sure. You guys do make a really good team, I'm so glad that you married Dave, I LOVE having you in my family. (remember when you could scratch my back in church? I'll be there on Sunday...)

Joy said...

I'm pretty sure you would lay in my lap at church, do you think we could do that again? Can't wait!

Callie Proffitt Christiansen said...

I freaking love that picture. And
Dave is pretty Mantastic. So is Greg. I am a lucky girl to have such wonderful examples to look up to. You're pretty womenderful yourself for pulling that off too. (I had a hard time coming up with something as good as mantastic. Oh well)

Cassie said...

You look seriously so GOOD in that last picture. I loved that post. I'm sure Dave loved it too. Who wouldn't want to brag about him? And you were a rockstar that week.

-Cassie

Rebecca said...

Weirdo. :)