Friday, February 6, 2009

The Pink Baby

Cleaning and scrubbing
Can wait till tomorrow,

For babies grow up
We've learned to our sorrow.

So quiet down cobwebs,
Dust go to sleep,


I'm rocking Sherry's baby,
because babies don't keep.


This is one of my favorite poems, in fact I printed it and framed it for my sister Jannalee for a birthday or something. I know this is exactly how she feels about babies and this is exactly how I felt with the pink baby. I had Sherry's baby for the weekend. The pink baby, aka Abigail, aka the tiny baby, LOVES to nurse. She was only eating enough from a bottle so that she wouldn't starve. She finally learned that this was the only way she was gettin any but she drew the line at formula. She was perfectly happy to drink Sherry's breast milk all weekend. Which is EXACTLY what Brenley did when I babysat her for Sherry's anniversary weekend. Talk about your spoiled babies. Jeesh, Sherry what do you put in that stuff? My boys were thoroughly grossed out to see it in the fridge and tried to get Dave to put it on his cereal.

I got a shower while she slept but she woke up before I could do my hair or put on my make up.

I COULD HAVE put her in the bouncer and bounced her with my fo
ot while I put on my make up. But I didn't. I held her.

I COULD HAVE propped up the bottle while I blow dried my hair. But I didn't. I held her and fed her and watched her make feeding faces and feeding noises.

I SHOULD HAVE put her in the swing to make my other children lunch. But I didn't, I made them wait until she slept.

I COULD HAVE given her to Kylee to give her a bath. But I didn't. I bathed her and watched her kick her tiny feet and suck on her tiny fists until the water was cool.


I COULD HAVE gotten up with her at 6:00 am when she was fussy after her 5:45 feeding. But I didn't, I made Mr. Mantastic do it because I was too tired and I had to get up at 7:00 anyway. :)

Loved having the pink baby and Michelle's baby too. There is just something about babies, the way they smell, taste, sound and feel. It is something a mother NEVER stops craving. Good thing I have nieces and nephews. In fact, I get to go to Utah this week to help my sister Cassie when she comes home with her brand new pink baby of her own. Maybe she'll let me borrow her in the middle of the night while she gets some sleep. Maybe, I'll actually wake up.
This is my baby next to the pink baby. Why do ALL of your kids have to grow up? Why can't one just keep reliving the first year of life over and over? Because babies don't keep. I guess it is kind of nice to give them back to their parents. And I really do enjoy my sleep too. I'll wake up to feed a baby but if they don't go back to sleep, it's all Dave. He's been helping me take care of other people's children since we were engaged....mantastic.

New babies have always been my moms job. Cassie decided to have her baby 2 weeks early and my mom doesn't get home from Germany until the 19th. We couldn't leave Cassie on her own for a week! I know it will not be the same as having my mom take care of her but I will be lovin every minute of it! I'll just try my best to take care of her and her little family until my mom can come home and take over. And how can I leave my own family for a week to go to Utah and help Cassie? I have a fabulous sister that just happens to live next to / with me that LOVES taking care of my kids u
ntil Mr. Mantastic comes home from work to take over. I'll prolly* miss my own family and maybe Dave too. But for that week, it's just me, Cassie, tiny new pink baby and Lexi. Oh and Brandon too.


*new texting word I got from Kinsey's little friends. I love teen age girls prolly as much as I love new babies, especially when I don't have to be their parent!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't wait to have babies...do you love blue babies too? When I have babies you will have your own room...right next to mine, with a door ajoining them, so you can take care of my babies!

Joy said...

Sarah, I will love your baby even if it is purple, green, or rainbow colored. When your baby comes, you just let me know when and where and I will be there!

Callie Proffitt Christiansen said...

I loved listening to trigg sing to the scary music. You should call me and I will bring my video camera and we can tape him. Awesomest thing I've seen one of the babies do in a long time. Especially with the hand actions.

sherry said...

Abigail was so lucky to have someone who would take care of her,"In the manner in which she was accostomed" Spoiled babies love to be spoiled! Your boys cracked me up. I still think Kevin didn't tell you about the bottle I brought over because he didn't want to say, "breast milk";)

Brooke and Aaron said...

You're right. They grow up way too fast. I hope I can remember to cherish these moments when they're young and worry less about getting things done. I'm learning, but there's always room for improvement.