Monday, December 22, 2008

1,001 Trucks

This is Tate when he was 2. This child LOVED his trucks. Especially trucks with hooks that he could put a trailer on and haul things. In this picture he is backing the boat down the ramp, just like he sees his Grampa do. I think we spent half of our income on trucks and trailers back then. We spent hours (okay, maybe 20 minutes) in the truck section looking for trucks that had hooks and trailers, tent trailers, motorhomes (yes, they do make them) and anything else he didn't already have. He used to lay on the floor for housrs (yes, it really was hours this time) and drive his trucks. Hook up the trucks, load the jet skis, drive the truck all day long. I have to admit, it gave me a soft spot for trucks. Once he carried around the same school bus for 4 months. It dropped in the water at Lake Powell and Dave's WHOLE family was in the water diving to find the bus. Luckily we found the bus, Jared's glasses were not so lucky. When I was cleaning the toy room once I said to Dave, "I will NEVER buy another truck for as long as I live!" They were everywhere, and no, I can't get rid of them, I'm attached. So here I am, 10 years later, 2 boys later, and again, I am standing in the truck aisle, looking for the trucks with hooks and trailers because I have another boy who loves his trucks. I love to watch him laying on the floor, pulling his trailers, hooking up his trucks, looking for tent trailers and motorhomes, that I still have....Seeing him there takes me way back to when I had one little Taters and that was it. That is why I spent all of Triggs Chritmas budget on trucks with trailers. Then I spent some of the rest of the kids budget on a huge, Trigg-sized, battery powered truck that he will probably mow over poor Addie with and probably Jarem and Dax too. Too bad I can't transplant Tate's personality into this one too. Then maybe I wouldn't have to worry about one of those wonderful trucks flying across the room at some poor child's head. ( Sorry Addie!)

5 comments:

Margaret Proffitt said...

Hooray for boys, for trucks, and for not having to "do hair."

Joy said...

Totally, and hooray for Dora the Explorer too.

Gray Family said...

I totally remember looking for that speacial bus and building the castle/boat ramp that year at Lake Powell! What a great memory - thanks. I think it is great that Trigg is so into trucks and he has a super great big brother to share that passion! Thanks for coming Monday - we love having you with us!

Joy said...

Isn't that castle the best? Ah...Lake Powell before everyone had a bazillion kids. Good times.

Callie Proffitt Christiansen said...

Hate Dora the Explorer but love the trucks. I remember babysitting Tate with his trucks. He and I would get so frustrated when I couldn't get the right trailer on to the right truck. We'd pick another one and another one until I could finally get one on for him.Good times.